Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Nails, Roofs, Skiis, and Weird-o's

Hello Everyone! We have had some gorgeous weather while most of you have had cold, snowy weather, I hear. Of course, we are not without snow....we will have snow until May I'm sure because there's so much of it but it has not snowed in about two weeks now. I have adjusted more to it this year and it doesn't bother me like it did...life just goes on. Plus I am getting out more with friends and not as lonely as I was last winter. With all that said, I would still prefer Alabama winter any day!
Haven's friend Tommie Jane had a birthday party on Saturday and they had their nails done at the local salon........




Too cute!! What you can't see is little hearts and polka dots on the nails. She is getting to where she's needing more attention and asking for play dates more because she's getting bored while the boys are at school. While I wasn't sure if she would need preschool, I am beginning to think that maybe next year, two days or so will be helpful in meeting both her socialization needs and academic needs (I not very successful with her teaching her for some reason :0). I am very proud though of the way she gets along with all her friends. She never fights with them and parents brag on how well she plays with their kids; perhaps this is because she is the 3rd child in the family and has always had to share with her brothers. She is a joy and is so happy-go-lucky!

We had a 4 day weekend so Friday the boys got creative and decided to play on the roof a bit! I know it sounds crazy but they are able to just walk up onto the roof from the snow below.....



**Note that they are in their shorts....just doesn't feel as cold here when the sun's out....

Mason has been working on a snow cave also.....

This is Ma inside the snow cave.....

I also took Landon out behind the house to cross country ski....he didn't quite enjoy this trip as well as the first time he went (he fell A LOT more!)

We had youth night Sunday night and had 12 this week! I had 5 in my women's group and we addressed the topic of CONFORMITY and how peer pressure is such a powerful force. Paul tells us in Romans 12:2 “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”...that's hard for teens to do but if they can find a friend (or group) willing to be transformed with them and it makes it so much easier. I pray that Mason an Landon will chose to not conform to the pattern of this world and will chose friends to support him in being transformed by the renewing of his mind.
Durango Mt. Resort had Education Days yesterday (which means discounted prices) so the boys got to go skiing there for the first time. Mason went with his friend Chance who bought his pass for his birthday gift. I was a nervous wreck because he was with much more experienced kids, going down HUGE hills but my friend Kristin (very experienced skiier) stayed along with Mason to help if needed. He (or we!) survived the day and of course he loved it! Landon attended ski school all day since this was his first time and he absolutely loved it and declared himself a "Perfect skiier"! He begged for an hour after he was done for us to let him skip school tomorrow and go.......GREAT!.....now my boys are in love with a sport that is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!!!




Above is Mason with Chance.....couldn't get pictures of them actually skiing because they are so far away from us but Kristin said she did take some of Mason while going down hill but I haven't seen them yet. What did Haven do during all this? She actually could have went to ski school also but did't insist so she gladly explored the grounds and got to go to Burger King to play in their play place. Here's some pics from her time at DMR....




It is with a heavy heart that I give you this next report.......Back last Spring, I talked in the blog about a little girl named Olivia who wanted to come to church so bad. She finally got to come a couple of times and you could truly see her little heart was so excited about learning about Jesus. Then she stopped coming. I asked you to pray that she would get to come to VBS and she did a time or two but then we haven't seen her since. We see her mom a lot and she just wears the weight of the world in her face.....just mad and sad looking all the time. Nancy witnessed to her one day and really thought that she (the mom) had accepted Christ. Unfortunately, we heard this weekend that Olivia was asked if she still came to our church, and she replied "No....my momma's afraid that I'll become a Christiasn weird-o so I can't go back". Going back to my earlier comment about conformity, I'll say I'm proud to be a weird-o if that makes me different in our world. However, it's so sad to see someone reject Christ. Our God is a lot bigger than her momma so pray along with me that both Olivia and her mom will realize their need for salvation and be set free from the bondage she wears in her face daily. This is the attitude we have to deal with over here....so different from the south! We covet your prayers as we try to reach these people for Christ.....love to you all!
Lori

No comments: