Thursday, January 7, 2010

In Loving Memory of My Aunt Gail


Before picking back up where I left off at last post, I want to honor the memory of my Aunt Gail, whom we lost on January 2nd to a two year battle with cancer. It's still so hard to believe that she is gone. My mother was one of eight children....one boy, Uncle Bill, who was born first and then seven girls with my mom being the 2nd girl. They are all very close and love being together. Gail lived in Tuscaloosa and was a retired special ed teacher in the state of Alabama, but then drove to Mississippi to continue teaching for many years. Gail was so good to my mom.....she called her frequently during the week to check on her, was always giving her gifts, and invited her to go along with them wherever she was headed. I will be forever grateful to Gail for the way she cared and loved my mom.
Gail was such a servant. She loved being there for people who had no one else. She spent so much time in hospitals and nursing home, loving people who needed loving. Gail had breast cancer first, defeated it, and was cancer free for several years. Two years ago at Christmas, she shared with the family that the cancer was back, and it became a Christmas I will never forget. As hard as the news was, it blessed my heart for our family to join hands and pray with all our hearts for strength and complete healing for my Aunt Gail....I will never forget that moment forever etched in my heart.
Two years later, Christmas 09 was unforgettable also. She went to the hospital on Christmas Eve to receive more platelets and by Wednesday, Dec. 30th, we knew that she would not bounce back this time. She went to be with Jesus on Jan. 2nd, after being moved to a hospice facility. I left the day before, so torn between being there for mom/family and helping Mike drive the kids back to CO safely. Not knowing how much longer Gail may live, I left but when I heard on Sat night of her passing, OH how I wished I would have stayed. I feel very fortunate that I did get to see her a couple of times before she left. Mom said that her funeral was so sweet. Both Gail's sons played a part in it....Lance gave the eulogy and talked about Gail's amazing qualities and J.C. played and sang a song that he wrote for Gail a couple of years ago. Gail would have been so touched and proud of what her boys did for her. Gail was only 2 days away from turning 59.
Did I also mention how strong Gail was? She rarely complained and never wanted to bother anyone for help. There is a hole in our family now and I can't imagine how lost her children and sisters feel without her. She was a part of their everyday life and I know the temporary separation from her will be so tough. Please say a prayer for them. Gail had one grandchild, Madeline, who she loved so much and tried to spend as much time with as she could, and she has a grandchild on the way that she will never get to meet on this earth. It brings tears to my eyes as I think about what the children of Lance and J.C. have lost.
This is Gail with Madeline.....
So if you wonder why it has taken me a while to put up a new post, I haven't felt much like it because my heart has hurt with the loss of this precious lady that I have the priviledge of calling my AUNT GAIL..........Praise God that the family will be together again in heaven one day and what a reunion that will be!

No comments: