Saturday, February 19, 2011

So Sentimental....

I have a problem....... I tend to be a little too sentimental about my possessions. Why is this a problem? Because sometimes I don't have room to keep everything that I want to keep and it causes useless clutter. Then the clutter stresses me out! And I then think, "if only I had more storage space".....more, more, more!
Do these things make me feel secure? Maybe certain items because I think if I save it, I may need it again one day and it will save me from having to buy another just like it. I want to save things my children wore and played with for them to have one day and show their children. I really have a strong connection to T-shirts...I just can's throw away t-shirts because there is a memory behind each one of them! I still have every t-shirt I had in high school (at mother's house in storage!) I wish I could let go of things a little bit easier but I do want to pass down a little of "my life" to my children. I want to hang on to all those precious memories. But will they care about any of it? That's the question.....

The reason for this blog is the answer to that question! While home on Christmas break, there was a small pile of "garbage" on mother's carport. She had asked me to take it out to the road for trash pick up so I asked her what it was. She said it was junk from the attic that Robby (my brother) had taken out. I started looking through it and it was MY JUNK! Thanks BRO! Just kidding....to Robby, I'm sure it did look like junk. It was an old teddy bear that my dog Brownie came up with in his mouth one day and gave to me when I was 6 or 7. It was some old scratched up and rough looking toys that I played with including Strawberry Shortcake, Apple Dumpling, and My Little Pony. It was a stack of pet posters that covered my bedroom wall when I was in 3rd-4th grade. Why in the world would I keep a stack of pet posters?

THIS IS WHY.........


My Haven girl LOVED THEM!!!!!! She insisted on bringing them back to Colorado to put on her walls so we did! Do you know how much it blessed my heart that she wanted them?? And she wanted to bring back all the toys that we found that were mine. See that blue pony in her hand? That's the only one I let her bring back but it thrilled me that she wanted them because they were mine when I was a little girl!
So maybe my kids won't really care what my prom t-shirt looked like, or which doll was my absolute favorite to play with or what my plastic Muppet lunch box was like, but just in case they do.....I'll have it to show them and it will bring back some sweet, precious memories of a period when time moved very slowly and my worries were as simple as which pet poster to buy next!

No comments: