Sunday, June 7, 2009

Rock Climbing, Teen Night, and More....

Thursday we went rock climbing on a small mountain at the end of Vallecito. It was fun and Haven did awesome! Here are some pictures from the little adventure......
Landon found crystals in the rock....
Views from the top....
Friday night we had our first Teen Night at the church and we had 8 youth show up! Now I know that God just drew them there because the only youth in our church is Robyn who is now a high school senior and Ashlyn who is 13 and hasn't been at church but about 4 times total in the 7 month we've been here. However, neither of these two girls were able to come so we got to meet some new kids. It's interesting how this night came to be...... Amy and Jason Knox moved here from Texas due to some circumstances in their living situation/jobs back in February. Not knowing Amy too well at the time, she took this quiz on Facebook called "What is your ministry calling" and the answer was "Youth Ministry". Amy had never worked with youth before. I had a burden that this church had absolutely nothing to offer youth but definitely didn't want to be the one to start something up. So when I saw Amy's quiz results, we started talking about maybe the reason God may have sent her here and she got excited thinking about working with the youth. She said she would only do it if I did it right along with her so I told her I would help out. So now we will be having Teen Night every Friday night. Pray for Mike and I in this ministry because this is something we want done, but didn't really want to be the ones doing it.
I am feeling a little overwhelmed with being on the Praise Team, VBS on Tuesdays, Movie Night on Wednesdays(starting this week), I have the kids on Thursday night during bible study, Teen night on Friday night, and small groups are starting soon on Sunday nights. But Praise God for activity!
I am cleaning cabins for one of our church members this summer to earn some "traveling" money so usually one day a week is spent cleaning. Mike helps me so I love it because it's good money earned pretty fast! Would you believe that I still can not go outside during the day without a light jacket on most days? Oh how I long for a hot summer day when the kids can swim in the lake and play with the slip-n-slide! Never thought I would miss the hotness of Alabama like I have! It just doesn't seem like summer....
Yesterday Bayfield had a town wide yard sale that I participated in. One of our members lives in town so some of us set up in her garage. There were over 60 different yard sales so it was fun walking yard to yard and I got in on some pretty good deals! Mason had a ball game (they lost) and then Mike took the kids to see "Night at the Museum 2" while I went grocery shopping. It was good to have activity here to take my mind off of missing our first Mule Day in Gordo! It's such a fun time with family and getting to see old friends and I was sad yesterday about not being there (especially after hearing several say it just wasn't the same this year without us). Maybe next year's vacation will be planned around Mule Day!!

1 comment:

tonyjet said...

Are we surprised that kids showed up that you haven't seen or that someone moved in with a gift for youth? Not at all! God is at work no doubt.