Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Lesson in Friendship

What a week I have had! It's been a week of ups and downs and God has shown me a lot this week through His word. I struggled at the beginning of the week with loneliness--really missing my precious friends in Cullman. Although I have some friends here, it's just different....the relationships are not very deep...you know the type where you can just really share your heart with them because you know that they'll love you no matter what's said?...that's the relationship that I miss. Now I know that I can call my sweet precious friends in Cullman any time and they'll listen to me (and thank you for that), but because we are living such different lives now, I need someone that is like me, that loves me, and that values the same things I value. Sometimes I feel like I am in a foreign land here!! Anyway, I say all that to say that God has shown me this week that friends are out there, and although they may not be just like me, He has a plan to use me in their lives for His glory.
I was able to help my friend Michelle who has 5 children, ages 3-17, whose husband lives/works in Washington, DC. And I'm lonely?? At least I have my husband here! Michelle is a great christian lady and my hearts desire when I first met her was to be able to assist her when I could since she is essentially a single mom. She attends church in Bayfield, but as a result of VBS this summer, her 2 smallest really got to know me better and now feel comfortable with us, so on several occasions the last couple of weeks, I kept Jack and Annie for her so she could have some time with her older kids. Now we are carpooling to school in the mornings and Michelle and I have gotten a lot closer.
At football practice, I have spent time with some of Mason's friends moms which has really made me feel better. Now they are going to start walking with me during practice. These "friends" are nothing like me....on occasion they leave practice to go get a margarita or glass of wine, and their vocabulary is not the cleanest (and they have no filter!), and they are wealthier than me. As I was walking and listening to one of them the other day, I got to thinking that what if because I am with these women at practice, the other mothers (that I don't know) think I am like them? But then God showed me later in mine and Kristin's conversation that developing a relationship with these women, will hopefully let them see Him through me!! Whoa! I could possibly be the only person in their lives that knows Christ....what an awesome responsibility!! So now I am just seeking opportunities to minister to them in love and pray that somehow and someway, they will seek the awesome forgiveness, mercy, and redemption that our Lord wants to give them....
Then, there's Sandi...thank God for Sandi.....she is one of those friends that is like me. So much a like that she can be hard to read (so to speak)..and I know I'm that way too before you get to know me well. We have a lot in common and mainly it's our desire to live a life pleasing to God. Chonda Pierce was in Farmington, New Mexico, on Friday night and I wanted to go but I messed around and didn't get tickets before they had sold out. Sandi had already agreed to go with me and I felt like I let her down by not getting the tickets in time. So I told her we were going anyway, on faith that someone would have extra tickets to get rid of and if we didn't get in, we'd just catch a movie or go shopping. It is about an hour and 30 minute drive, so we got there, went right up to "will call" table and told the lady that we had just come out on faith to get in tonight and she handed me 2 free tickets! Chonda is a "christian that is a comedian" and brought two "up and coming comedians" along with her and they were all so good! I laughed and laughed and it felt sooooo good! Thank you God for a night of laughter...."it does good like medicine"!
I know it may seem like I'm rambling but I wanted to share what God showed me about friendship this week and give Him glory for the friends He has placed in my life here since I haven't appreciated them very much. Unfortunately, all too often, I have lived on the side of friendship that looks and appreciates what that friend does for me (example- love, acceptance, laughter)and I'm sorry for that. Now, I am learning that instead of trying to have friends to meet MY needs, I need to BE a friend to help meet other's needs. Thank you my Cullman friends for being an awesome example for me to live by and I am sorry that I haven't appreciated you enough. I miss you soooo much but I know that because of our Christ connection, we'll always be life long friends. It's hard to live day by day without you in it........(pause for tears..yes, I am crying b/c I miss you!)
May God bless my sacrifice for His Glory alone and use me to introduce others to Him

I have a lot more to share about this week but since it's midnight, I shall pick it up another day.

"The Lord is my strength and shield; my heart trusts in Him and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to Him in song" Psalms 28:7

3 comments:

Chantelle said...

What a great word of encouragement about friends!! Thanks for sharing what God is teaching you!! He will definitely use you in those ladies lives, I know it. Those ladies are extremely lucky and they just don't know it yet. Keep blogging, we are still reading!!

Chantelle

Bonnie said...

What Chantelle said!

Sandi said...

Aw, I miss you so much... Keep blogging it helps me alot...