Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas in the Rockies....

One more week!!! I am so excited!! One more week until we fly back to Alabama soil!! I need you to pray though that all the roads to Albuquerque, NM, will be open and that our flight will go as scheduled. I know you are probably tired of hearing about the snow...but man...it is like a blizzard out there today. I had to drive the kids to school this morning and it took me 1 hour and 20 miuntes round trip. They do not ride the bus in the mornings because they have to be on it at 6:30 which is way too early for us night owls. The bus arrives at school at 7:30 (because of the breakfast program) and the doors do not open until 7:50 unless you are eating breakfast. Therefore, they stay out on the playground until then. Only until it gets below 10 degrees that they let them come on in early.....isn't that crazy!! Needless to say, our boys arrive at 7:55!! Yesterday was the first day they rode the bus home....they thought it was awesome!! What was bad is that Mike, Haven, and I took Landon's cupcakes to his class to celebrate his birthday and then went grocery shopping in Durango. Because of the weather we were not back when the boys got home. I told Mike on the way back that our boys went from being over-protected children to latchkey kids in one day!! They were fine and we arrived about 15 minutes after they did.
Landon's birthday is Monday so because of the Christmas party on Friday and other birthdays, he made cupcakes and shared them with the class yesterday..... Landon has struggled to make a good friend here which is surprising being that he has such a great personality. Pray for God to send him a best friend with similar interests. We plan to celebrate his birthday here on Sunday by going ice skating because Monday we have the Mom's Shopping Day from 1 to 8 at the church. He wants to have a party with his "real" friends in Alabama so we plan to do that at Grace on the 28th....can't wait....


So I only slid twice today out on the roads.....it is crazy! Very beautiful but also very dangerous. Here is a shot from outside the window over my kitchen sink. In the first picture that is Haven's tricycle buried in the snow and the second picture is the snow hanging off of the roof. Has anyone seen the sun lately?? I sure do miss it!!




Mike shot a video of it because the winds were blowing so hard but it just doesn't do it justice...we are under a winter storm warming until 5:00. Mason has Science Fair tonight and then basketball practice. This was our first "big" science fair project and he did his on which fizzes more when cold, warm, and shaken: Coke or Diet Coke. He did a great job and we survived it all!

Mom asked me to take a picture of my Christmas tree and post it because she always comes up to Cullman to see our decorations every December. Below is my model in front of the tree in one of her Christmas dresses....if you'll notice there is no tree topper, no tree skirt, (you actually can't see either of them) no snowmen faces....etc., because apparently a Christmas bin was left in my basement in Cullman! Not happy about that one!


We are getting ready today and tomorrow for an Open House for the church members here on Saturday. Since they are paying for us to fly home, I felt I needed to do something to show our appreciation. I have nothing to show off as far as decorations is concerned but I can cook some Christmas goodies for them to enjoy. Just about done with all the Christmas shopping....I have taken advantage of "free online shipping" this year which is very convienent when you live out in snowville!
Lori

2 comments:

Sandi said...

That snow is awesome... I want so bad to be able to come during the winter.. My boys wouldn't know what to do.. Miss ya'll and I guess I am just gonna have to look into how much plan tickets cost to come see ya'll...

ALI said...

HOW IS OUR COLORADO FAMILY DOING. NOW YOU HAVE A TASTE OF WHAT US YANKEES HAD TO PUT UP WITH. HOWEVER, I THINK YOURS IS LASTING A BIT LONGER. I DO REMEMBER GETTING CAUGHT OUT TRYING TO CHRISTAMS SHOP AND SNOW COMING DOWN TO THE POINT YOU COULDN'T SEE ANYTHING BUT THE SNOW IN FRONT OF YOU, AS IT POURED IN. YOU FOLLOWED THE TIRE TRACKS ON THE HIGHWAY AND PRAYED YOU WERE IN YOUR LANE. VISABILITY WAS A BIG 0. GOD ALWAYS KEPT US SAFE. FAITH AND TRUST WAS THE ONLY ANSWER.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! THOSE CUPCAKES SURE LOOKED GOOD.

LOVING FOLLOWING YOUR JOURNEY WITH GOD.

ALI