Sunday, May 10, 2009

HORSEBACK RIDING




On Saturday, Dan and Shelia invited us to go horseback riding up at their camp at Lemon Lake. Lemon is on the other side of the mountain from Vallecito and it is not but about half the size of Vallecito. Anyway, Jason and Amy had been going up to the camp on the top of the mountain on horseback with Dan this week, helping him set up so I had overheard them saying how steep it is at times. Then we got an invitation to go to camp and cook out....OK...in my mind, I'm thinking that we are going to ride up to the top of the mt on horses to that camp and have a cook out...and I'm thinking "there is no way I can do that"...I mean, I haven't even rode a horse by myself in a flat open field...how in the world can I ride one going up a steep mountain???!!!
So, I decided to ride with them out there just to see what it was going to be like and I am soooo glad I did! Dan's has a camp site at the BOTTOM of the mountain and that is where they had planned to cook out the whole time!! So, Mike and the kids went horseback riding for about an hour, up into the mountain and loved it. Landon and Mason had no fear whatsoever!! I ended up riding BY MYSELF up a little ways and although I am still not real comfortable on the horse, I DID IT! And it was neat! Here's some pictures from our day......
Landon had to dress the part! ...minus the Wrangler Jeans!!
I wanted Haven on the horse with Jason who is an experienced cowboy from Texas!! When they came back down the mountain, Haven had the reigns and was in control of the horse! She had no fear also!


OK...so I felt as stupid as I look on a horse!! Dan knew my fears so this was my ride for the day...he's such a sweetheart!!This is Amy "the Elk" Knox!! She loves horses and use to barrel race in Texas...The kids enjoyed playing in a little creek beside the campsite, hunting for worms.......yuck!They came up with 66 worms in all!! This is us sitting around the campfire after supper. It was a great day and we hope to do it again soon. Come on up and you can join us!

2 comments:

tonyjet said...

What an adventure you guys are having! I am sure that I'm not the only one back here that is very envious. As I wrote in a previous post, you are making great memories with your kids and though you may be homesick a little( or alot), someday you will look back and think about what a wonderful time you had in Colarado. I am glad that the kids have made friends and playmates and that God has provided all of you with people to spend time with and just share your life with.

Jamie said...

Your little guy looks like a natural and I am sorry to say but you do not. Ha!! :)

But... You probably did a whole lot better than I would have done. Me + Outdoors is not really a good combination. :)