Saturday, November 22, 2008

God is at Work

Hey everyone I just wanted to catch everyone up on what is going on here. Had a lot of meetings this week, this church loves to meet. But there are some good things that are happening. This is very much a mission area. People here don't go to church nor do they really see the need for a relationship with God. They don't pretend either. There is a great deal of alcoholics in the area. We have a bar right next to our house (which you know I like). There is a depressive feel to the area when it comes to spiritual things. But we can see God at work here. We had the lady from the store next door, her husband owns the bar, ask if her daughter could come to church with us even if she didn't come. She wasn't ready for church yet but wanted her daughter there. I met a new family today, Saturday, who has lived here for 3 months. She was asking me about our church and things for her kids. We talked and I found out she has an 18 year old daughter who is pregnant and due in 3 weeks, 2 teenage boys and a young girl who is 9. I really believe they are coming to church tomorrow. We also have the guy and his son, Donny who has become our boys best friend, coming back tomorrow. This may not sound like a lot to us in the bible belt, but out here this is huge for our church. They don't have that many people visit their church in 6 months time so this is great.

Keep praying for us though that God will break through the spiritual darkness here with the light of His love. Our church is hosting a Thanksgiving meal next week for the whole community. We are expecting more than 200 people to come eat with us. This is going to be a great opportunity to open some doors into the lives of people here. I am excited about the opportunities. We are looking forward to coming home at Christmas. I hope to see you all then. We love you all.
Mike

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Mike who?
A bar next door. How convenient. Welcome to the world I grew up in. Visitors(at church not the bars) were unusual also.
I wanted to let you know that Bonnie was listening to sermon a few days ago and I asked who was speaking? After ten minutes of reminding me who you are, I listened in and to my surprise the congregation was laughing.I told Bonnie that I didn't remember you ever being funny at Grace.
Also I have had to block the weather channel from my TV.I got depressed everytime I saw Durango was warmer than here.

your friend
Shane

P.S. Lori said a mountain man (smelling of alcohol) came by the house the other day, was this really you?

Chantelle said...

That is excellent news about all the lost people that you are coming in contact with. That has to give you affirmation. It so amazing that God can be at work in Colorado and Alabama all at the same time!!

Okay, so if we ever get to come and visit, you'll have to introduce us to all your friends at the bar...

tonyjet said...

Next door to a bar? Now I understand why you chose that church! Really I understand why God chose you to go and love those people just as they are so He can change their hearts and lives. If we are able to visit, we'll have to belly up to the bar together! Just kidding!