Thursday, November 6, 2008

Look to the Mountains!



Psalm 121:1-2 says "I look up to the mountains-does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth!"
The mountains are really beautiful right now after our first snow of the season. It is cold here today. 12' when we woke up this morning. We are having to learn how to bundle up and handle the cold weather. It doesn't seem to bother the kids but Lori and I are cold when we go out. Of course we haven't broken out the winter clothes yet, but will have to this week. We have been riding 4 wheelers this week and yesterday a couple brought by a couple of snow sleds for the kids to use as it snows. They also have 6 snowmobiles that they offered us this winter. We know that it is going to be really fun at times. The boys can't wait.
We are still getting adjusted to the area. I drove the kids to school yesterday in the snow. I took the jeep thinking it would be better, but I slid several times coming back home. It looks like the Jeep won't be much help this winter. I haven't been able to hunt any yet because I have to take a hunter safety course first and then live here for 6 months before I am considered a resident so it looks like it will be next season before I kill my first elk. We still haven't caught any fish up here either. We have a huge lake behind our house and we can't catch any fish. Someone here felt sorry for us and invited us to catch some trout behind their house that were trapped in a little hole of water that was drying up. It was probably no bigger than 8' in diameter. We couldn't catch a fish that was trapped in a mud puddle! I have decided I don't like fish anyway. Chinese food is easier to catch!
We had several families visiting the church Sunday to "check us out". I'm sure they decided I didn't live up to the hype, but we are excited that people are coming in. We are going to begin focusing on the children's ministry soon. We really hope to reach some of the younger families in the area by offering a good children's ministry. Thanks for checking up on us. Keep in touch with us when you can.
Love,
Mike


7 comments:

Sandi said...

I am so jealous... Hope ya'll are enjoying it.. O' yea Mike, I'm sure you know this.. Alabama is #1... ROLL TIDE!!!!

Chantelle said...

That is beautiful!!
I am afraid for Jared and I to come visit as I might not be able to get him to come home. He would love it there.

I am glad to here about your "visitors"!! God can speak to them too even if they aren't expecting it!!

Jeff said...

You guys better not make too much noise cause it looks like you could cause an avalanche on those mountains.

Tammy said...

You better break out the long johns cause winter is here. Take care and keep warm. Oh, and by the way its almost 80 degrees here in Alabama.
HA!

ALI said...

WELL. YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO BRAG ON YOUR FISHING TECHNIQUE, BUT YOU CAN BRAG ON HOW WELL YOUR FOOTBALL TEAM IS DOING. WOW!! DON'T LET MIKE KNOW I SAID THAT IT MIGHT HURT HIS FEELINGS. HA HA.

SO EXCITED ABOUT THE PLANS THAT GOD HAS FOR YOU. KEEP ON CLIMBING THE MOUNTAIN AND DONT LET ANYTHING GET YOU IN YOUR WAY. RUN THE GOOD RACE!!!!!!

I LOOKED BACK AT MY LAST COMMENTS AND SORRY THEY WERE SO POORLY DONE. I WAS DOING THEM AT 2AM AND AT 2AM I MADE ABSOULUTELY NO SENSE.

LOVE YOU ALL AND CONTINUALLY PRAYING FOR YOU ,

ALI

The Kritners said...

Loving your site! Pictures are awesome! Enjoy God's beauty! We miss you so much! Pete sends his "Roll Tide" ug! I told pete we can go to Kansas for Thanksgiving and go see you that saturday and mike & pete can watch the game together! Tempting pete has been fun! I can't believe Mike is having the BIG 40 without us and a BIG Party!! that is the real reason he left at this time right?ha! The Thanksgiving @ your church sounds GREAT! I wanted to do something like that here but no one interested! wish i could be there to help you! Love you all! Keep enjoying the snow, stay dry! Hug Mike for us! HAPPY BIG 40 MIKE!!! MISSING YOU AND THINKING OF YOU ALL ALWAYS! The Kritners

THE TANKERSLEY'S said...

Hey Guys,
Sorry to hear about Mason. I hope he is OK. Taylor is worried about him. Just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving! We love you all, and miss you so much. We are so excited about what God has in store for the Owen family. Can't wait to see you all, and hear all about your adventures thus far. Love the blog. Love The Tankersley's