Thursday, November 13, 2008

Today is my Birthday


I woke up this morning 40 years old, and my neck was hurting like crazy. I guess it has started, old age. I hear it all begins to fall apart at 40; I must be getting a head start. I am sitting at the computer looking out of the window of our new home in Colorado. It is beautiful here this morning, about 30 degrees but the sun is shining brightly across the water and birds are flying everywhere. I saw a bald eagle a few minutes ago. The mountains are rising up above the lake and everything is starting to come to life. The boys are in school and Lori and Haven are asleep so I thought this would be a good time to reflect on my 40 years.


The problem is at my age you can't remember anything anymore. That doesn't matter because the stories I am about to make up will be more interesting anyway. (Kidding) I have been blessed more than most people I know. I have a wonderful family; a great wife and the three greatest kids ever. They love me, although sometimes I don't know why. They left all their friends and family to join me in the craziest thing I have ever done. (Actually they did it because they knew God was in it, but let me have my moment since this may be my last birthday). My kids are healthy and well. I know today not everyone can say that so I count that as a blessing. I have some wonderful friends. I have already heard from many of you this morning; thank you for loving and supporting us. Thanks for calling and emailing us. You will never know how that helps to keep us going out here. My friends and family at Grace Community Church have been our lives for years now and we don't want to lose you all. I think about you all today and wonder what you would have done to me had we been there today. I would have loved it of course.

There is no doubt I could stop this here and you would conclude I am a blessed man, even though I am an old.


The truth is though those things are only a small part of the blessings God has given me. Today I know I am saved and going to heaven because Jesus died for my sins. "But when God our Savior revealed his kindness and love, he saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit." (Titus 3) Also all of my children are saved, and I believe and pray that Haven will be saved when she is older. I get the opportunity to serve Him by preaching the word in places I never thought I would. I get to see parts of His creation I never thought I would see. God is good.


Today I am thankful to God for all the good things He has done for this 40 year old fossil. I hope you will join me today in giving Him glory.

"Blessed be the name of the Lord now and forever. Everywhere-from east to west-praise the name of the Lord. For the Lord is high above the nations; his glory is higher than the heavens." PS 113:2-4
So join me today in giving thanks to God for all He has done.


Thanks for your love and friendship. I hope to see you soon. Here or there. I have to go, I can't find my glasses and I need some Ben-Gay for my neck. Love you all.

Mike

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Mike.Happy birthday to you. I can't believe that you are 40 years old. You are going to catch up with me before long. Your dad is really getting old.I love you and I thank God for sending you to us . You have been a blessing to my life ever since the day they put you in my arms. Have a great day. I love you bunches and bunches.

Tammy said...

Hey Mike,
I pray you have a blessed day. I hope that arthritis doesn't set in with all that cold weather you will have to put up with. Happy Day from the Silvey's. We Love You!

Chantelle said...

Happy 40th Birthday to the coolest man I know that leaves in Colorado. JK I hope you have/had a wonderful day!! You deserve it!!

Chantelle

The Kritners said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AGAIN MIKE! We love and miss you! Hope you got my card!ha! You know we would have had a big pary here! But seeing all the pictures of the beauty that surrounds you (God's beauty) what more could you want! Hope you had a great day! Take care and know today may be arthritis medicine but hey soon comes walkers and false teeth!haha Love you BIG! Becky Kritner

Meredith Ann said...

Happy B'day to you Mike!!! Yeah if you were here we would be partying like its yo b'day!!! WHAT WHAT!!! We can party i guess at christmas man i can't wait to see yall. I miss you like crazy! I really hope you have a terrific b'day and just focus on what God has blessed you with and what he has brought you through in 40 years. Love you man.
Mere

ALI said...

HHHHAAAAPPPPYYY BBBIIIRRRTHDAAAAY

"HEY," WHAT IS WITH ALL THIS, YOUR GETTING OLD STUFF. 40 IS NOT OLD! JUST THINK HOW AWESOME IT IS, THAT YOU HAVE GAINED ALL THIS KNOWLEDGE AND WISDON THAT YOU NOW HAVE. YOU CAN'T GET THAT OVER NIGHT.

AS YOU WERE COUNTING YOUR BLESSINGS I WAS DOING THE SAME. GOD HAS CARRIED US A LONG WAY. JESUS HAS TAUGHT US SO MUCH. EVEN TODAY WE ARE STILL LEARNING FROM HIM. I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT WHAT"S NEXT.

OH YEA, YOU MAY FEEL OLD TODAY! BUT TODAY YOU HAVE MADE ME FEEL YOUNGER, THANK YOU. I DIDN'T REALIZE THAT THERE WAS ONLY A 81/2 MONTH BETWEEN US. I WELCOME YOU TO MY WORLD OF FORTY. "IT IS NOT SO BAD!"

HOPE YOUR DAY WAS GOOD, WE LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU SO MUCH,

ALI

P.S. IF YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN HERE WHERE EVER YOU WOULD HAVE GONE THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN A SIGN SAYING, "LORDY, LORDY, LOOK WHO TURNED FORTY. WE MIGHT HAVE EVEN BOUGHT YOU A NEW CAR. JUST KIDDING!

P.S.S. MIKE, JACKIE, NICK, KENNY AND MARTIN TOLD ME TO TELL YOU HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! LOVE YOU OLD MAN

Unknown said...

Happy 40th Birthday!! We miss ya very much!!
It looks absolutly beautiful there. I hoe you are having a wonderful journey and know that you are in our prayers everyday!!
We love you all, Mike, Jen, Kayla & Chloe