Sunday, October 12, 2008

Escape to Gordo....

In the middle of the packing chaos, I planned Haven a party to celebrate her 3rd birthday with her family before the big move. Her actual birthday is November 3rd so she is not quiet 3 yet (explaining that to her is near impossible). For those of you who may not know, my mother fell while walking at the Healthplex on Tuesday night and broke her elbow. She had surgery on it on Thursday so Haven and I went on to Tuscaloosa to be with her. She did great but is unable to use her right arm/hand which presents a challenge when you live alone. It was my great pleasure to care for her this weekend. She did not want me to come for the surgery but I told her I was coming because "I can". I'm not going to be able to say that much longer....

Anyway the weekend was great! On Friday night, the Owen family had supper together and all the cousins were excited. We met Daddy and his wife at Jacks on Saturday for breakfast and he seemed to be much happier since our last visit with him. Then my brothers and their families came to Mom's for lunch. Haven's party was at 2:00 at Emmanuel Baptist Church and it was refreshing to be surrounded by both sides of the family along with my best friend Appi Pate. Of course, deep inside, this was an excuse to come back to Gordo one last time before moving and a chance to draw everyone together. I tried to soak it all in.....thanks to all the family that sacrificed their Saturday to spend with us. We love you!!
The goodbyes began and the tears flowed. At Mom's house, I was doing so good until Patty came out to say goodbye and encourage me to be positive about it. Her words earlier were "you got to go so you might as well make the most of it." I know she's right but what scares me is how long will we be there and where will it be after Colorado?? Then, at the Owen's, it was so hard to look at the big tears that Mama Kaye was fighting back as we loaded up to leave. Mike continually repeated "we'll see you in a couple of weeks" to try to soften the atmosphere and leave a reminder that Christmas is not that far away.
For those of you who are surrounded by family where you live, don't take that for granted. Cherish your times together because life changes. Don't put off saying "I'm sorry", "I love you", and most of all "thank you".
I managed to post one picture but for some reason can not get the others posted. I have to get to church but will try again later to post some family pictures of our weekend. Again, to our wonderful, loving families, thank you for your time and the presents for Haven....we love you and cherish those moments with you!!

1 comment:

Angie Junkin said...

Aw. I know this was a special weekend for you and your family. I really love the site. Good Luck with everything. We love you. Angie